Monday, January 7, 2013

Easy Crockpot Applesauce to Apple butter



One of the easier and yummier things that I leaned how to do last year was make my own applesauce and apple butter from scratch. 
All you need is a crockpot, a bag of apples, a few hours, and a few simple add ins.
Let's get started with the apples.
A large bag of apples from your regular grocery store will do the trick for this.
I know there are some guidelines out there about the best apples to use for applesauce but 
I like to follow this one

USE APPLES THAT TASTE GOOD

Don't think to hard about this. These apples are going to get cooked down, softened up, and mushed into a delicious frenzy. 
I like to use granny smith to add a tartness that plays well off of any sweet add ins, then I usually throw in a few tasty other types into the bunch
try
Pink Lady
Honeycrisp
and my new favorite
Opal
These gems pack a delicious punch. 

Once you've wrangled up your apples and washed them it's time to core them. 
I don't bother with taking off the peel. Once these are blended up you won't even realize they were left on. 
You could could do this step by hand but this apple corer is a handy tool we have in our kitchen that I love to use. 



Separate the slices from the core
Slices go in the crockpot
core goes to the compost, garbage, birds, apple after life


Add all your slices to the crockpot. 
At this point some people prefer to add lemon, this will keep the apples from changing too much color. 
Some people also prefer to add seasoning into the pot at this time.
I like to cook my apples naked
this gives me more freedom to play with the flavors later after I have everything blended up.


Set cooker on 
LOW 
for 
3 HOURS
leave the lid on for this.


3 hours later this is what your apples would look like before & after being blended.
The best for blending these up would probably be an immersion blender. 
You could also you a potato masher, food processor, or what I did...a blender. 
If using a blender do small batches until you have a smooth texture. 

Now lets add flavor


A lot of recipes call for apple juice. 
I say why not step this up a notch and brew up a cup of cider?
I used a single serve packet of mulling spices in a cup of apple juice.
This is going to add great flavor to your sauce and butter with little work. 
For apple sauce I added 1/4 c to the blended apples


These are a few basics that you can add in. I suggest doing easy recipes like this to taste. 
Start with small amounts of flavors you know you love 
sample
add more as needed. 

This batch I used 1/4c white sugar
dash of vanilla
squeeze of honey
generous sprinkle of cinnamon

After flavor is added your applesauce is complete!
Good Job!



Garnish with a fresh apple slice and sprinkle cinnamon on top
or
grab a hand full of fresh blueberries add to blender with applesauce and zest in some ginger
blend
enjoy

On to the BUTTER!
this is easy stuff



Place the remaining sauce back into the crockpot
crack the lid
keep cooking on low for 1-2 hrs
stir when needed
This step is going to thicken the applesauce into the apple butter


After apple butter is done place the finished product in a sealed container. 
Keep this vile of deliciousness in your fridge.
Add to toast, waffles, crepes, and other goodies!
Hope you enjoy
here's a recap of what we did



No comments:

Post a Comment