Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fairy Tale Feast: Cinderella

Today I'm going to focus less on 
ingredients
and more on
inspiration. 


I thought it would be fun to throw together a fairy tale theme dinner that all ages could enjoy. 



This picture is inspiration for what I came up with. 

Here's what's on the menu:
Cinderella Stew
Twice Baked Potato Mice
Magic Fruit Wand


For the stew:
You can use your favorite stew recipe. 
You could even do this with chili or soup. 
Cinderella Stew just had a nice ring to it. 
If you're looking for stew inspirations take a look at these:

Paula Dean teaches you how to cook up an Ol Time Beef Stew
If you're looking for a chicken stew Giada De Laurentiis has one to share with you. 
Last but not least lets not leave out a pumpkin stew!

First thing to do is cook up your stew.



Then prep your pumpkin.
Cut off top,
scoop out guts,
fill with stew, 
bake.



Bake until pumpkin flesh is soft. 
The stew is going to help flavor the pumpkin and make it yummy to eat after you're finished with your stew. 
I used a small pie pumpkin for my pumpkin. 
After this comes out of the oven and cools add small cheese wheels. 
A Babybell cheese wheel cut down the middle works great. 


On to the mice. 
I used simple mashed potato fixins to flavor my potatoes. 
Garlic, butter, milk, cheese, sour cream. 
Here's  a whole rundown on how to make an ULTIMATE twice baked potato.




First I steamed the potato in a Ziploc Steamer bag for 6 min. 
I let it cool and scooped out the inside. 
I put the inside with all the fixins into a ziploc bag. 
This is where you let the kids SMASH. 
Cut off corner and let kids fill potato shell with mixture. 

Time to decorate. 
I used:
small baby tomato - nose
(toothpick to hold in place)
green onion - whiskers & tail
olive - eyes
watermelon radish - ears



The whiskers can be a little tricky to stay put. 
Try using mashed potato mixture as glue!



Now the wand. 
You can use any fruit to add to the wand.
I used grapes. 
I like to use kabob skewers for things like this.
For small hands use a popsicle stick or a chopstick to avoid the pointy end. 
For the star I used a star fruit. 
Personally I strongly dislike star fruit but it looks cool. 
You could also use a watermelon slice and let the kids cut out star shapes. 


There you have it!
The makings of a Fairy Tale Feast!
Pair this with a story time reading of Cinderella and you're sure to have a magical day of amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment